DEBUNKING MYTHS ON WOMEN AND WELLNESS
PEP (Patient Education Program) talk by Dr. Uma Ram
Chennai, June 15, 2020:Neuberg Diagnostics Private Limited, a StartUp in the PathLab chain segment, which ranks among the top 4 diagnostic service providers in the country organized a PEP (Patient Education Program) talk by Dr. Uma Ram, Director, Consultant Obstetrician, and Gynaecologist at Seethapathy Clinic and Hospital. Dr. Uma Ram spoke about “Myths and Facts on Women and Wellness.”
Dr. Uma Ram took the opportunity to shed some light on the myths and misconceptions of women’s health and fitness which are blindly accepted by society. She went on to highlight how listening to the advice and recommendations of your peers, colleagues, and neighbors for matters related to health and wellness can often turn out to be a major problem later.
Dr. Uma Ram said, “Women are often misinformed about health and wellness and tend to place their own wellbeing fairly low in their priorities. While this is slowly changing, there are may myths that people believe are true. I am delighted to take part in this PEP Talk program where I could educate people about the facts behind women’s health so that they can stop blindly following these irrational and baseless myths that have been in society for ages.”
Speaking on the occasion, Aishwarya Vasudevan, COO of Neuberg Diagnostics said, “Despite education, many people still struggle to logically reason many myths related to women’s health and wellness. This includes stigmatizing natural health processes like menstruation. We as working women have the access to the right information and must take it up as our duty to spread the knowledge and awareness about early diagnosis and bust the myths which are still very silently prominent in society today.
During the program, Dr.Uma Ram went to point out a few popular myths that are still followed and accepted by people in large parts of our countries.
- Women do not need strength training: A myth that is popular even within the educated circles of society. Women don’t think they should not do strength training. However, due to hormonal and body structure differences, a woman will have to keep in mind issues that men don’t need to.
- It is wrong to exercise during the menstrual cycle: This is a common myth that has no scientific rationale
- Not all women suffer from postpartum depression: Studies and research show that 1 in every 5 women experience postpartum depression and that it is highly important for women to seek professional help to tackle this significant problem.
- Talking about Menstruation will scare the child: It is important to teach girls about menstruation, as a natural process and not avoid having this conversation which turns out the reason for the girl to be clueless and afraid when it happens.
- There is no need for any check ups after menopause: All women need annual check ups as most gynecological cancers present with symptoms only late. Also, women are as much at risk for cardiovascular disease and so need to have preventive check ups
About Neuberg Diagnostics
The best-in-class laboratories from across India, UAE & South Africa have united under the banner of Neuberg Diagnostics to bring the latest technology and techniques within the reach of developing countries. Utilizing their combined strengths, the Neuberg alliance brings capabilities to perform over 6000 varieties of Pathological investigations and will promote Prevention & Early Diagnosis, Focused Wellness Programs and Structured Disease Management programs for Chronic and Life Style Conditions using the most advanced technologies assisted by Data science and AI tools. Today, Neuberg Diagnostics is among the top diagnostics companies of Indian origin and the fastest growing healthcare start-up in India. The founding members of the Neuberg consortium – Anand Diagnostic Laboratory (Bangalore), SupratechMicropath (Ahmedabad), Ehrlich Laboratory (Chennai), Global Labs (South Africa), and Minerva Diagnostics (Dubai) bring their combined heritage of over 200 years and process over 20 million samples annually. Some of the best Pathologists, Biochemists, Geneticists, Microbiologists and several other Clinical Lab Professionals from around the world are working closely, sharing knowledge and using the latest generation of diagnostics techniques to take accurate and timely diagnosis to the next level.