Chicken: The Preferred Protein!
Chennai, February 18, 2020: Protein is an important part of the basic diet, but an estimated one billion people suffer from protein deficiency. The protein deficiency in India is more than 80%. While the recommended protein intake is said to be 60-90 grams, Indians consume only 10-30 grams.
‘National Protein Day’ marks the importance of body’s most basic building block that develops bones, skin, cartilage, blood and helps to increase the muscle mass. Chicken is one of the most commonly consumed protein rich delicacy worldwide. Chicken meat comes in a variety of cuts that includes breast, drumsticks, thighs and wings. While all of them are rich protein, every cut has a different benefit and helps the body to achieve certain results.
Some of the benefits are listed below.
Chicken breast is a popularly consumed cut and helps bodybuilders. It is also very popular among people who want to lose weight. A well cooked chicken breast has 31 grams of protein per 100 grams and 164 calories per 100 grams. The calories come mainly from the protein (80%) and rest is from fat (20%).
Chicken thighs are slightly darker in colour and provide oxygen to the muscles that are active. A well cooked chicken thigh has 26 grams of protein per 100 grams and has 209 calories for 100 grams. Here, 53% of calories come from protein and the rest 47% from fat.
Chicken drumstick has significant amount of amino acids that are used for growth and development during prenatal, childhood and adolescent stage. Human body required 21 amino acids and chicken drumsticks are capable of providing 12 of them. One chicken drumstick can provide 28.3 grams of protein per 100 grams.
Chicken wings have great effect on arthritis and diabetes. It is also used in therapeutic nutrition like hyper tension, stroke and heart diseases. It helps the body recover from injuries and fractures and improves the immunity levels. It contains 30.5 grams of protein per 100 grams.
Ms. Muthulakshmi G, Founder & Nutritionist, Nutrizone said-“Chicken is a widely consumed meat. Each part of chicken has its own benefits and one must chart out the diet depending on the health and fitness benefits that is required for the individual. People on low carb diet will benefit from eating the
fatter portion of chicken while body builders and individuals who want to lose weight can take chicken breast. It is very important to cook all the portions of the chicken at high temperatures before consumption. Additionally, it is better to consume chicken fresh and if refrigerated, must be consumed in 2-3 days.
About Suguna Foods: Suguna ranks among the top ten poultry companies worldwide. With operations in 18 states across India, it offers a range of poultry products and services. The fully integrated operations cover broiler and layer farming, hatcheries, feed mills, processing plants, vaccines and exports. Suguna markets live broiler chicken, value added eggs and frozen chicken. With the intent to provide consumers with fresh, clean and hygienic packed chicken, Suguna has set up a chain of modern retail outlets. Suguna Daily Fressh, Suguna Home Bites, Suguna Anytime processed chicken and four varieties of specialty Suguna value added eggs, Suguna Home Bites are successful product ranges from Suguna foods.